Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Are you serious, Clark???

I saw the most disgusting display of entitlement at the mall the other day. I shouldn't have been shocked because I see it all the time but normally it is by young men and teenage boys, NOT GROWN MEN old enough to be grandpas!

A man (all decked out in his thobe and head scarf, mind you!) was eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone at a table in the food court. He physically motioned for the housekeeper (male janitor) to come to his table while he took off the cone wrapper and GAVE it to the poor man to go throw in the trash. Again, I shouldn't be shocked because I see it all the time but it was all I could do to tell that lazy man to get off his arse and walk the wrapper to the trash HIMSELF.

The trash issue here is unreal to me. I was told by a woman at the mall to just leave my trash on the table and the housekeepers would pick it up. No thank you, I believe in picking up after myself, especially in public, and I will walk our waste to the trash can myself. It is sooooo common to see people driving down the road throwing whole McDonald's bags (or whatever trash they don't want to look at) out of their cars while driving down the highway. My road rage hits an all time high when I see it! The other day I saw a man in a parking garage chug his Mt. Dew and then just throw the whole bottle out of his car. Man, it's hard sometimes to bite my tongue around here. They just wait for a poor laborer (usually Indian, Pakistani, etc.) to pick up after them. It's so disgusting.

Then you have the movie theater. That's a whole other issue. Apparently, it's ok to converse loudly with each other and talk on your phones during movies in Bahrain. The manboy sitting next to me talked on his phone, talked to his friends and texted during the movie (btw, we have assigned seats). In addition, it's just fine to take your toddlers to adult movies at 9:30 pm and let them run around the theater. I was with a friend watching Eclipse and if I could have "shushed" people along with a backhand, I would have. Don't disrupt my vampire/werewolf time!!!!! I wanted to say "Listen here, folks. You act like this at a movie in the states and someone will pop a cap in your ass!" lol

Bahrain isn't a bad place to live at all. In fact, I wouldn't change anything about moving here. It's been a blessing for us to experience this way of life and culture in the few months we've lived here and I look forward to seeing what the rest of our tour here brings. But, it doesn't even compare to living in the states. If more people had the opportunity to live abroad, they would understand the deep appreciation for the little things - such as littering and movie time! So, my stateside friends............Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (a little Jack Johnson for ya) or at least throw your trash where it belongs AND keep up the hush hush during a movie. More importantly, remember what an awesome country we live in and never take it for granted.

No comments: