Today Maggie and I went to the International School of Chouifat to ask more questions about her pre-k program for the 2010-11 year. Oh.my.goodness. Never thought deciding which pre-k program to put my child in would be SUCH a hard decision. Chouifat is on our island, literally two minutes from my building to the school, the campus is AMAZING, and did I mention it's close????? However, many red flags about their way of teaching have popped up making this a real conundrum for Wiley and I. Hours are from 8am - 3pm with 3 breaks (1 lunch and 2 recesses). Very strict academics even for this age mixed in with some fun activities here and there. BUT, very focused on English and Math most of the day. They said Maggie should be so far ahead when she returned to the states that she might be bored. For the love of God, it's only freakin' pre-k, right?
The other school is a British school 20-30 minutes away and I have had nothing but glowing reports from everyone that has recommended it. My first impression of the school itself? Lets be honest, I thought it was a dump. A cute dump, though. With cheery British teachers and cute kids in funny little uniforms. A happy, kid friendly place with children like my own (only with a British accent...cheerio!). Academically, I've heard they are good and very good prep for the DOD Bahrain School where Maggie will attend kindergarten (on the taxpayers dollar, yay!!!).
What to do, what to do???? Part of me wants to be selfish and try out the Chouifet School since it's so convenient. Maggie can handle the academics because she is scary smart but socially I'm worried she will be more timid and feel like an outsider. The school is mostly Arab with few expats like us. Many people have said the Arab boys at this school aren't very well behaved and discipline can be a problem even at the pre-k level. We all know from my previous "vent session" post that I am not high on the Arab opposite sex right now. In addition, I want her to have friends that can come over and play or vice versa and if most of her classmates are Arab, there is a big chance that just won't happen. Not on our part, mind you. I have no problem integrating her with different cultures if I knew socially, it was in her best interest.
Another part of me wants to prove a rude lady wrong (is that so bad!) who made me feel like the scum parent of the earth for even considering Chouifet. Well, I may have to suck it up, bite the bullet and call the British school and see if I can get back on the waiting list...........my head and heart both seem to be pushing me in this direction.
Oh, and none of this would be an issue if the DOD school had a pre-k program and we didn't have to pay thousands of dollars to send our kids to private programs! Never thought I would be comparing and stressing over my pre-k options more so than I did when I was picking a college. What the? Can I just pick up my little Children of Woodbine Preschool in Pace, Florida, put it in my pocket, bring it to Bahrain and set it right next door to my apartment building?
OR....I could save my money, home school her for the next year, lose my sanity and have both kids asking daddy why mommy always sits in a corner after lunch flapping her arms and trying to bite her nose.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Not that you're asking for advice, but I would either go the British route or homeschool. Tell the old hag that was rude to you to stick it in her stinky old eye! :-) It's really not that bad to homeschool...trust me. G & E love it. I do have to plan lots of play dates though b/c they are both social butterflies. If you go that route, I have plenty of resources so just give me a hollah.
You're a GREAT Mama Hollie and you will make the right decision for Maggie and your family. Too bad T's not still going to Nadeen, we could have worked out a carpooling gig... maybe that could still be arranged with another parent??? However, sitting in the corner flapping your arms trying to bite your nose sounds fun too so don't rule out any of the options just yet! ;)
Post a Comment