Well, last week was one heck of a week. Glad it is over is about the only positive thing I can say about it!
My sweet Maggie decided to use little sister's hand to test the lightbulb in a lamp in her room. When I ran in there, I knew Maggie was the culprit since she was crying and hiding under the covers on her bed. It started out with "Paigey touched the lightbulb" but then finally progessed to "I held her hand on the lightbulb." Chaos ensued as the pain must of made Paigey Poo poop herself all over the place. As I'm changing her, I notice the skin is starting to look wierd on her hand very quickly. I call the clinic on base and they tell me it is 2nd degree burns and to call 999 (911) and tell them I need to be transported to the burn unit at Salmanaiya Hospital. I didn't agree with this and wanted to drive us myself but I have no clue where this hospital is sooooooo.....I call and once again, the language barrier took up more time than I wanted to deal with so I hung up on them and we went to the one hospital that I knew how to get to, Bahrain Specialist Hospital in Juffair (where we used to live). Wonderful service and wonderful staff so far. Paige has 2nd degree burns and the plastic surgeon thinks they are superficial so she should heal just fine. He drained her blisters (they were HUGE, she looked like she was growing another hand!!!) and we have to keep dressings on it and go back often to have them changed, which really hacks her off!
The Burner a.k.a Maggie cried more in the ER than Paige did and sat there with her blankie over her head because she was so ashamed of herself. She kept telling me not to tell the dr. it was her fault. Sorry sister, better them know it was you than think it was me! Maggie had a long talk with daddy and mommy, naptime for 2 hours and an early bedtime with no books or cuddling (if you know Maggie, she lives to "read books and cuddle" before bed). She also has to pick up all the messes her and Paigey make for the next week. This one is about to send her over the edge.
The Burnee a.k.a. Paige is happy as can be, ripping off all dressings so far. We finally told the Dr. last night to tape it to her skin. So far, so good. We call it her "stump" and Maggie calls it her "puppet." Either way, the Stump Puppet is hilarious to watch as she learns how to adjust to having it on. In addition, Stump Puppet finally got her fourth tooth and a fifth is about to pop. What's funny is it is both eye teeth. The child still doesn't have her right front tooth. This kid is a riot....
In other news, Wiley's Bahraini Beater (his car) broke down AGAIN. Yes, the Super Saloon is out of commission. We just had the whole a/c replaced a few weeks ago and now we have to wait until Wednesday to see what else this hunk of crap needs done to it. Btw, the Super Saloon is a Mitsubishi Galant. You would think whoever named it would have known that saloon and cars shouldn't be in the same group. Apparently, Super Saloon is the sporty version of cars over here.
The fun doesn't stop here, folks.....we also found out we need to replace our a/c unit at our house in Florida. Our poor renters moved in and the a/c moved out. So, my Smiley Wiley has been a very sober Wiley the last week. I guess I just need to keep him stocked on sweets and alcohol! On a positive note, we have each other, we have our health (minus a hand) and we have.............our HOUSEHOLD GOODS arriving on Tuesday!!!!!! That saves the day! I think sleeping in his own bed after several months will put the smile back on his face. And let me just say, I may put the girls in the base daycare on Wednesday just to lay in my very own bed all day.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am loving your blog!! You crack me up and make me cry! It sounds crazy over there, but I am so glad you guys are getting to have this experience. I can't wait for more stories! Missing you!
Post a Comment